Next course: 6 November 2021 to 13 November 2021
Online course Two Saturdays 11am-5.30pm (with breaks) - Places available
Cost: £135 full price; £120 early booking discount (til 23rd October), £105 concessions (all Oxfordshire residents can book at concessionary rate)
Introduction to Screenwriting – online course is a beginners’ course for people planning their first screenplay or wanting to improve their screenwriting skills. It will arm you with the concepts and practices you need to be aware of, before diving in. The course runs five hours per day (with additional breaks) over two consecutive Saturdays from 11am-5.30pm, for a maximum of 10 learners.
This intensive online course focuses on short film, however many of the skills learned are transferable to longer screenplays, and there will be many pointers for those who want to continue their study of feature screenplay writing beyond the scope of this beginners’ course.
This online course will:
- Develop your understanding of the basics of the craft and art of screenwriting
- Give you everything you need to start writing your first script
- Help you to understand “what makes a good script”!
- Encourage you to develop a critical self-awareness and an enquiring, analytical and creative approach to your work
- Give you a framework to develop your screenwriting practice
Who is Introduction to Screenwriting – online course aimed at?
This course is aimed at writers who want to learn the art of screenwriting and filmmakers who want to develop their writing skills (or skills for collaborating with writers). If you haven’t done any creative writing whatsoever (whether amateur or professional), or don’t have any filmmaking skills, then you are unlikely to be able fully benefit from this course. (See below for what you can do next).
Note: Sessions are run on Zoom and are recorded so you can “catch-up” on missed sessions or watch again.
Once you have taken this beginners course you can take the take our follow-up New Screenwriters – Interactive online workshop.
Your tutor – Michelle Duffy
Michelle Duffy is a screenwriter, comedy creator, soap storyliner and author. She is currently developing projects with production companies in the UK and Ireland and is a regular storyliner on the Irish soap Fair City.
Introduction to Screenwriting – online course outline:
First Saturday: 11am-5.30pm (with lunch and breaks)
- Where do ideas and inspiration come from?
- Why is it important to keep generating new ideas?
- How do you decide which idea is a Short Film idea?
Theme, Story, Plot & Narrative
- How to define the Premise of the film (what it’s about) from the Theme (what it’s really about)
- Cleaving Story, Plot and Narrative apart and examining how they inform choices in a scene
- Identifying POV, non-linear structure and other narrative devices
- Writing from and for Genre
- Audience expectations
- Short Film Genre
Film Story Structures
- Classical 3-act Structure and other theories
- Freedom within structure
- Alternative short film structures
Second Saturday: 11am-5.30pm (with lunch and breaks)
Form, Formatting and Software
- Professional formatting conventions and why they exist
- Software options (including some free ones)
- Evolving industry conventions
Character & Characterisation
- Character development
- The Character Arc – internal and external
- How do you reveal character in film?
- What do you write when you’re not writing dialogue?
- Developing your own Evocative Style
- Binning Screenwriting ‘Rules’
Pitching and Feedback
- How and Why to verbally pitch your screenplay
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Developing pitching documents
- Creating authentic character voice
- Dialogue dos and don’ts.
- Subtext in dialogue
Round up and next steps
- Opportunities, Networking and Next Steps
- The rest of this session will be planned around the requests and needs of the class
Early booking discount & concessions
Early Booking – Book early to get 10% reduction on the full price course fee. See the date at top right of this page (usually two weeks before the course start date, but may vary).
Concessions eligibility for online courses – Any Oxfordshire resident or UK based Students, NHS workers and people on some means-tested benefits. Evidence is required, such as student card, NHS staff card or benefit letter.
Means tested benefits: JSA, Income Support; Working Tax Credit (not child tax credit); Council Tax Benefit (not student/single person/reduction due to disability); Housing Benefit; Pension Credit (guarantee); Unwaged Dependent of these benefits & Universal Credit.
All Film Oxford Courses are subsidised by Oxfordshire Adult Learning
If you like Introduction to Screenwriting – online course you may also like:
Follow-up to this Introductory courses is New Screenwriters – Interactive online workshop