Next course: 24 May 2021 to 12 July 2021
7 weeks 8.00pm-9.30pm - places available
Cost: £145, £130 (early booking discount by 17th May), £110 concessions.
*One Time Special Offer - all Oxfordshire residents can book at concession rate*
Shooting for Social media – online course is a seven-week interactive beginners’ course for people who want to start learning and developing skills shooting video for social media. Runs 90 minutes per week over 7 weeks.
This online course shows you how to make great content to use on social media such as YouTube, Facebook, Linkedin and Instagram. Whether you are just starting out or have some knowledge already this course will give you a complete overview on what content works, how the big YouTubers are using video to build audiences, and how you can get going and develop your skills with your own social media content. The course covers how to use existing tech, such as your iPhone, action cam features and overview – and, if you are thinking of the next step, what to choose if you are buying an entry-level mirrorless or compact camera to vlog with.
Why do this course?
- You will develop an understanding of different video content on social media and how it works
- You’ll understand the difference in the various social media platforms, what to shoot for Facebook, etc.
- You understand how to structure and shoot a small piece of social media video
- How to shoot: we start with iPhones and GoPros, but if you have or are thinking about getting a mirrorless or DSLR camera we can show you how to get the best out of your kit or what to look for
- You’ll see what free resources are available on the web for editing video and start to work with them
- You’ll get small video tasks to do over the course and get feedback on them
- Gives you the ideal framework to start or develop your YouTube channel or social media presence
Who is Shooting for Social Media – online course – aimed at?
This course is for anyone interested in using or developing video in their social media presence. At the end of the course you’ll know the content tricks and tips, feel confident to shoot that great vlog with existing tech or ready to take the next step – whether it’s investing in kit, or pushing ideas further with your own GoPro, action cam or digital camera. We can’t promise you’ll end up as the next big YouTuber, but we can show you how to make great content, and how to plan and shoot for social media. If you want to make great professional content for Linkedin, want to start your new YouTube channel, or use Instagram and Facebook better, Shooting for Social Media will help you on your way!
Note: Sessions are run on Zoom and are recorded so you can “catch-up” on missed sessions or watch again.
Your Tutor – John Hunt
John Hunt is a professional photographer, filmmaker and educator. In video production he works as a director of photography, director, camera operator, and editor. As an educator, John has a degree in photography and film, a PGCE and is an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Authority. He has taught lens-based media at higher, further and secondary level as well as in the private sector. John embraced digital technology very early with the first Nikon and Canon digital cameras and is passionate about all forms of story-telling, from a single image to a feature film.
Shooting for Social Media – online course outline
Session One – Introduction – 24th May 2021
- Introduction to video on social media
- The video ‘ingredients’ that work well (with examples)
31st May Bank Holiday Monday – no session
Session Two – 7th June 2021
- The platforms – YouTube, Facebook, etc. Video formats and aspect ratios
- Video tools within platforms
Session Three – 14th June 2021
- Shooting rules and using iPhone as a video tool
- Introduction to GoPro and Osmo
- Technical aspects of shooting
- Shooting task for next week
Session Four – 21st June 2021
- Review student footage
Session Five – 28th June 2021
- Planning a shoot.
- Shooting an interview, talking head and vlog
Session Six – 5th July 2021
- Workflow and archive
- Introduction to editing
- Rendering and uploads
Week Seven – 12th July 2021
- Final film screening
- Advice on kit and Q&A
Early booking discount & concessions
Book early to get 10% reduction on the full price course fee. See the date at top right of this page (usually two weeks before the course start date, but may vary).
Students, NHS workers and people on some means-tested benefits are eligible to claim the concessionary rate. Evidence is required, such as student card, NHS staff card or benefit letter.
Means tested benefits: JSA, Income Support; Working Tax Credit (not child tax credit); Council Tax Benefit (not student/single person/reduction due to disability); Housing Benefit; Pension Credit (guarantee); Unwaged Dependent of these benefits & Universal Credit.
One time special offer – Oxfordshire residents can book at the concesssion rate.
All Film Oxford Courses are subsidised by Oxfordshire Adult Learning