Next course: 18 October 2021 to 29 November 2021
Online Course seven sessions - Mondays 7-8.30pm - Places Available
Cost: £145 full price. £130 (early booking discount til 4th October), £110 concessions (all Oxfordshire residents can book at concessionary rate)
Introduction to Blender 3D – online course for beginners will guide you through this powerful 3D modelling & animation suite. It introduces the student to the incredible potential of this software to create photo-realistic 3D models and animation.
This interactive course led by a professional illustrator and modeller runs on Zoom over seven weeks with 90-minute sessions for a maximum of 8 learners (10.5 hours contact time). Blender 3D is a free to install, open-source software package (Apple and Microsoft) gaining traction within the movie and gaming industry. The course is aimed at confident beginners who have good general computer skills. Students using a laptop are advised to use a full-size keyboard and external mouse.
By the end of this course, you will have: –
- a broader knowledge of Blender 3D and the applications it can be used for
- an understanding of the techniques used in 3D modelling & 3D animation
- the confidence to explore further this tool via self-study
- knowledge of modelling, animation and rendering techniques
- the ability to export your final project in various image and video formats
What does Blender 3D do?
Blender 3D is the most powerful open-source 3D modelling, animation and movie making package available. Giving you almost unlimited power to unleash your creativity, Blender contains modelling, compositing and video editing tools that allow the creation of anything from feature-length films to gaming characters, assets and environments. Blender 3D is rapidly gaining traction as a tool used by many production houses in the film and gaming industry, from creating photorealistic images to unleashing the most unbridled imaginative work.
IMPORTANT: We will be running this course on Blender 2.93.
You must have a decent specification mac or PC as final renders can be highly resource heavy.
Disclaimer: It is your responsibility to check Blender 3D will run on your machine before booking. So download and install Blender 2.93 to check to make sure it will run. Contact us if you are unsure or have questions at email@example.com
This course is aimed at people who have good computer skills and understand the specification of their own machine. The Zoom sessions are recorded so you can catch up on missed sessions or watch again.
Your tutor will set you homework each week which will take a minimum of one hour (but the more you practice, the better). You will also need to download the following classes resources well in advance so you can start on time.
Tutor – Introduction to Blender 3D – online course for beginners
Course plan for Introduction to Blender 3D – online course for beginners
Note: Practice makes perfect! The interface and massively powerful tools available within Blender take a lot of practice to become familiar with, so as much time that you can put in, the better! You will be given 3D and multimedia projects to complete each week between classes, which will take at least an hour, but if you can practice for more, it will help you get to grips with this professional software.
Week One: Introduction to Blender 3D – online course
- An overview of the interface, modes and features of Blender 3D, including the set-up for a more manageable workflow
- A Basic introduction to primitives, essential add-ons, Lighting, and Visual Effects
Week Two: Creating a delicious tub of Ice Cream, Part 1
- Basic Primitive Editing, loop tools, modifiers
- Procedural and Image Textures – an introduction to UV editing and unwrapping. Material Nodes and Node Editor.
Week Three: Creating the Ice Cream, Part 2
- Add-ons – more advanced editing tools
- Convert curves to mesh, proportional editing, more material nodes
Week Four: Creating the Ice Cream, Part 3
- Particle Systems – an Introduction
- Weight Painting, Vertex Groups, Texturing
Week Five: Create Lego Figure
- More advanced modelling techniques, modifiers
- More Texturing, Sculpt Mode
Week Six: Character Rigging for animation
- Basic Character Rig
- An introduction to the Dope Sheet and Keyframing
Week Seven: Overview 7.30pm-9.00pm
- Review of the course – fun with animation!
- Lighting set up – final renders
Homework will be given every week so the students can practice between classes. Any assets required and a brief introduction to any additional software to complete the tasks will be given.
Early booking discount & concessions
Early Booking – Book early to get 10% reduction on the full price course fee. See the date at top right of this page (usually two weeks before the course start date, but may vary).
Concessions eligibility for online courses – Any Oxfordshire resident or UK based Students, NHS workers and people on some means-tested benefits. Evidence is required, such as student card, NHS staff card or benefit letter.
Means tested benefits – JSA, Income Support; Working Tax Credit (not child tax credit); Council Tax Benefit (not student/single person/reduction due to disability); Housing Benefit; Pension Credit (guarantee); Unwaged Dependent of these benefits & Universal Credit.